What started in February 2015 as the idea of two Italian guys (Tom & Fede) in Amsterdam has now grown to a community of several cities. A community of people who love unique food and believe that buying food directly from artisanal producers gives them the best quality.
The first seeds of the idea were planted when Tom wanted to visit a producer of excellent Parmigiano Reggiano in Italy back in 2014. After a long search he met Leonardo, a devoted artisan producer who had been preparing Parmigiano for the last 27 years. After showing Tom his dairy farm he shared with him his struggle to find customers. Few consumers would come to his farm shop and selling to large distributors would force him to substantially scale his production to decrease prices and quality. And compromising quality has always been something Leonardo was against.
We then travelled through Europe to meet with lots of passionate producers and realised that many of the producers had the same struggle. They all excelled in the preparation of their product but did not have the time, money, and expertise to reach out to food lovers across Europe. We wanted to help and we knew how. This is how our idea was born.
Via our online platform we allow many more consumers to discover and buy amazing food from artisanal producers directly from the source.
Meet the team behind What About Leo
What About Leo is above all the group of amazing producers who are part of this platform. Artisanal producers of regional specialities from all over Europe, recognized for the quality of their products and their devotion. Without them What about Leo wouldn’t exist.
Next to these producers there is a team of five food lovers who are pushing each day to make this dream a reality: Tobi, Fede, Dominique, Jordan, and Tom.
What do we stand for?
Our dream is to connect every food lover in Europe to the best artisanal producers and let them buy their products in the most convenient way:
- We research, find and travel to visit these producers and select the products to offer
- We ensure that these producers receive more money for their products by removing as many intermediaries as possible
- We give a louder voice to these incredible producers and their stories
- We help producers with packaging, shipping and marketing - leaving them to concentrate on what they do best
- We would love for food options to be more diverse throughout Europe giving consumers a more informed choice
- We want to disrupt the current distribution chain which is forcing many producers out of the market
- We want to enhance your experience of using these products with recipes, quick tips and storage suggestions
- We want to inspire, educate and support a community of food lovers on their culinary journeys
- We want to bring new ingredients, flavours and experiences to people’s food
- We want to share ours and our producers passion through storytelling
How it works Start shopping