Pesto Rosso (red Pesto) has ancient origins. When Genovese boats sailed to Sicily their crews took with them their traditional pesto. The Sicilians re-adapted the recipe according to the ingredients available to them and the result was a triumph of flavours, combining the ingredients and traditions of the two lands. Alessandro & Stefano’s Pesto Rosso is an harmonious and rounded combination of tasty tomato with the scent of fresh basil combined with the sweetness of almonds.
Alessandro & Stefano's Pesto will keep for five weeks unopened in the fridge. Once opened keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days.
How to use
Never cook your Pesto; you will lose both its taste and its creamy texture. For warm preparations it should be added last and allowed to gently come to temperature. To make a pasta sauce dilute your pesto with some of the pasta cooking water as shown in this recipe.
Olive oil, tomatoes, Grana Padano DOP, almonds, basil from Genova DOP, Pecorino Romano DOP, italian pine nuts, italian garlic, salt, chili. 130g
- Use it to make one of the simplest, yet tastiest, pasta recipes: pasta with pesto rosso
- Spread it on sandwiches, cheese toasts or bruschetta . It will go especially well with anything containing Prosciutto, Salame, cheese, Mediterranean vegetables, etc..
- Add it at the last minute to risotto. This would go really well with either some cooked shrimps or crab meat, or some baked eggplant if you want to keep it vegetarian
- Make a healthy aperitif bite by mixing some Pesto Rosso with a little ricotta or goat cheese and using to stuff cherry tomatoes.
- Make devilled eggs: cook some hard-boiled eggs, cut them in 2, mix the yellow with some Pesto Rosso and a bit of mayo and fill the half egg white
- Try stirring a spoonful into sautéed vegetables or a frittata to add flavour to vegetarian or egg dishes
- Mix it with Greek yogurt to make a healthy dip for vegetables or chips
What about Alessandro & Stefano
Alessandro & Stefano
A Perfect microclimate and love are the secrets to this incredible pesto
“Our history comes from a long experience in the agricultural sector and it begins in 1827 in our greenhouses in front of the sea called ‘Serre sul Mare’ “, Alessandro explains. “Thanks to the famous terraces, we were able to create strips of territory in a landscape which is not so conducive to agriculture”.
Other products from Alessandro & Stefano
Recipe with Pesto rosso
- Summer pasta with Pesto Rosso, cherry tomatoes and basil