The Walnut Sauce is a traditional Ligurian sauce. It was mostly consumed during the winter months, when fresh herbs were not available. Alessandro & Stefano still produce their Walnut Sauce following artisanal methods and using only the best ingredients. It has a ivory colour and a creamy consistency. The flavour is slightly sweet with a clear walnut taste rounded with a touch of cream. Some Grana Panado and a point of nutmeg add the finishing touch.
Alessandro & Stefano's Walnut Sauce will keep for five weeks unopened in the fridge. Once opened keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days.
How to use
Never cook your Walnut Sauce; you will lose both its taste and its creamy texture. For warm preparations it should be added last and allowed to gently come to temperature. To make a pasta sauce dilute your Walnut Sauce with some of the pasta cooking water as shown in this recipe.
Olive oil, walnuts (20%), Grana Padano DOP, Cream, Butter, Italian pine nuts, salt, Garlic, Nutmeg, Antioxidant: ascorbic acid. 130g
- Use it to make one of the simplest, yet tastiest, pasta recipes by just diluting it with a bit of pasta cooking water and mix it with 500g cooked pasta and plenty of Leonardo’s 24 months Parmigiano
- It is also great with chicken
- Mix it with a bit of additional olive oil and a spoon of water to make a delicious dressing for winter crudités. It would pair really well with steamed broccolettis (bimis) or drizzle it on a beetroot & rocket salad
- Add it as a finishing touch to roasted carrots or cauliflower
- Use it on a bruschetta with some gorgonzola and thin slices of pear, even nicer after a few minutes in the oven to melt the cheese!
What about Alessandro & Stefano
Alessandro & Stefano
A Perfect microclimate and love are the secrets to this incredible pesto
“Our history comes from a long experience in the agricultural sector and it begins in 1827 in our greenhouses in front of the sea called ‘Serre sul Mare’ “, Alessandro explains. “Thanks to the famous terraces, we were able to create strips of territory in a landscape which is not so conducive to agriculture”.
Other products from Alessandro & Stefano
Recipe with Walnut sauce
- Stir-fried mushrooms with Walnut Sauce and Parmigiano