“Bonito del Norte” is premium albacore tuna sustainably caught in the waters of the Bay of Biscay and prepared in Basque Country. Described as “one of the great gastronomic pleasures of everyday life” by some chefs, Bonito del Norte tuna is renowned for its delicate texture and flavour. José’s Migas de Bonito are meaty tuna flakes packed in fruity olive oil. The tuna is moist and its rich flavour is the right mix of fish, oil and salt.
José's Migas de Tuna will keep several years unopened at room temperature.
Once open keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days.
How to use
Just as-is, partially drained of its oil if necessary, and maybe with a touch of lemon.
Albacore tuna, oil, salt. Net Weight: 250 gr, drained weight: 160 gr
- Add them to a salad, drain the tuna and use its oil for your dressing. Adding a mashed Salted anchovy will add lots of depth to the dressing. Migas de Bonito will be wonderful in a classical Salade Niçoise. It will also be great in a simple bean salad with an olive oil / lemon dressing and plenty of parsley. Or mixed with some shaved raw fennel, orange segments and black olives.
- Or add them to a tomato based pasta sauce. Do not cook the migas, just gently warm them in your sauce. Here again adding a mashed Salted anchovy would do miracles!
- Or mix the Migas in a béchamel based sauce with plenty of fresh spinach for a filling for canneloni or lasagne
- Make a tuna salad: Partially drain the Migas and mix with a very little bit of mayo, lemon juice, pepper and diced celery (or minced parsley). Serve on bruschetta topped with Boquerones or one Salted anchovy or use to fill cocktail tomatoes or jarred peppers
What about José
Fished with traditional techniques and prepared by hand
We meet with José and one of his three sons Gudiker in the small harbor of Bermeo, on the North West Spanish coast, an area known as the Cantabrian Sea. They own and work in one of only three companies which are Slow Food certified for the production of anchovies.
Other products from José
Recipe with Migas de Tuna in Olive Oil
- Salsa Tonnata (Tuna sauce)