Parmigiano Reggiano is made purely with cow’s milk and is famous for its recognizable cylindrical shape, either with tapered edges or almost perfectly straight.
A wheel of Parmigiano is 35 to 45cm wide, 18 to 23cm tall, and weighs between 22 to 40kg. The rind is hard either dark and oily or golden. The inside of the cheese is slightly grainy and hay-coloured. The 12-month old cheese has a smooth texture and a sweet-sour subtle milky taste of fresh butter and grass with some citrus and pineapple undertones.
Leonardo's Parmigiano is delivered vacuum packed and will last for months unopened at room temperature. Once open keep it refrigerated in the bag we'll give you with your cheese and eat within 3-4 weeks.
How to use
Take the cheese out of the fridge 30 min in advance and break it into blocks rather than cutting it in slices.
Leonardo’s Parmigiano and Glauco's Aceto Balsamico are wonderful companions:
- A cheese platter with a piece of each of the three ages of Leonardo’s Parmigiano, a small dish of Glauco’s Oro Nero, fresh grapes and some nuts will make a wonderful end to a meal or together with some bread a great light lunch. Serve it with a full-bodied Amarone or Barolo and you’ll be in heaven!
- The 12-months old Parmigiano should be preferred when you need a moister cheese with a less pronounced taste. Make a super healthy bruschetta by topping a toast with some roasted vegetables , a few drops of Glauco’s Oro Nero and shavings of Leonardo’s 12-months old Parmigiano (use a vegetable peeler to easily make shavings).
- Or pair it with Domenico’s Bresaola and a rocket salad (see the Quick Tips on the Bresaola page)
- Do not waste your Parmigiano crusts. Add them to your winter soups or risotto, they will provide both taste and consistency!
What about Leonardo
The best Parmigiano this side of anywhere!
»I took two weeks of vacation in my life, the ones in which we were renovating the Casearia«. Leonardo is a kind, thin man in his late sixties. His thinning grey hair and fair complexion reveal he does not spend too much time outside in the sun, yet his grey eyes, hidden behind frameless eyeglasses, are lively and warm.
Other products from Leonardo
Recipes with Parmigiano Reggiano 12 months old
- Pumpkin and amarettini cannelloni with sage browned butter
- Zucchini flowers, mozzarella and Parmigiano pasta