Parmigiano Reggiano is made purely with cow’s milk and is famous for its recognizable cylindrical shape, either with tapered edges or almost perfectly straight.
A wheel of Parmigiano is 35 to 45cm wide, 18 to 23cm tall, and weighs between 22 to 40kg. The rind is hard either dark and oily or golden. The inside of the cheese is slightly grainy and hay-coloured.
The 24-months cheese has a savoury taste of melted butter and straw and undertones of apricots and apples.
Leonardo's Parmigiano is delivered vacuum packed and will last for months unopened at room temperature. Once open keep it refrigerated in the bag we'll give you with your cheese and eat within 3-4 weeks.
How to use
Take the cheese out of the fridge 30 min in advance and break it into blocks rather than cutting it in slices.
Leonardo’s Parmigiano and Glauco’s Aceto Balsamico are wonderful companions:
- A cheese platter with a piece of each of the three ages of Leonardo’s Parmigiano, a small dish of Glauco’s Oro Nero, fresh grapes and some nuts will make a wonderful end to a meal or together with some bread a great light lunch. Serve it with a full-bodied Amarone or Barolo and you’ll be in heaven!
- The 24-month old Parmigiano is the ideal one to use with pasta and risotto. It will provide both a deep, umami-full taste and help emulsify your sauce to a silky consistency. Try a variation of pasta Cacio & Pepe, replacing Stefano's Pecorino with Leonardo's Parmigiano
- It will also be great shaved on salad. Try to mix some vine-ripened tomatoes, sweet onions and roasted pine nuts. Top them with a generous amount of shaved 24-month old Parmigiano, some salt and pepper and a bit of Glauco’s Oro Nero. The taste will be so rich that you won’t need to add any oil. Good for the waistline!
- And don't forget Ceasar salad
- Or make super simple Parmigiano crisps. Just grate your Parmigiano, pour heaped tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake at 180C for 5 - 6 minutes until golden
- Do not waste your Parmigiano crusts. Add them to your winter soups or risotto, they will provide both taste and consistency!
What about Leonardo
The best Parmigiano this side of anywhere!
»I took two weeks of vacation in my life, the ones in which we were renovating the Casearia«. Leonardo is a kind, thin man in his late sixties. His thinning grey hair and fair complexion reveal he does not spend too much time outside in the sun, yet his grey eyes, hidden behind frameless eyeglasses, are lively and warm.
Other products from Leonardo
Recipes with Parmigiano Reggiano 24 months old
- Ceasar Salad
- Kale, Beans and Parmigiano Soup
- Summer pasta with Pesto Rosso, cherry tomatoes and basil
- Classic pasta with Genovese Pesto, potatoes and beans
- Stir-fried mushrooms with Walnut Sauce and Parmigiano
- Pasta with Pistachio Pesto
- Asparagus, Taleggio & Speck Pizzetta
- Parmigiano and Balsamic Vinegar
- Tomato salad with Balsamic Vinegar and Parmigiano
- Rucola salad with Parmigiano, Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil
- Pasta Salad with Pesto