Parmigiano Reggiano is made purely with cow’s milk and is famous for its recognizable cylindrical shape, either with tapered edges or almost perfectly straight.
A wheel of Parmigiano is 35 to 45cm wide, 18 to 23cm tall, and weighs between 22 to 40kg. The rind is hard either dark and oily or golden. The inside of the cheese is slightly grainy and hay-colored.
The 36-months old cheese is granular with an almost piquant taste of cooked milk and wood and undertones of nuts and dried fruits.
Leonardo's Parmigiano is delivered vacuum packed and will last for months unopened at room temperature. Once open keep it refrigerated in the bag we'll give you with your cheese and eat within 3-4 weeks.
How to use
Take the cheese out of the fridge 30 min in advance and serve it at room temperature in not too thin slices.
500g Contains milk
Leonardo’s Parmigiano and Glauco’s Aceto Balsamico are wonderful companions:
- A cheese platter with a piece of each of the three ages of Leonardo’s Parmigiano, a small dish of Glauco’s Oro Nero, fresh grapes and some nuts will make a wonderful end to a meal or together with some bread a great light lunch. Serve it with a full-bodied Amarone or Barolo and you’ll be in heaven!
- Eat the 36-month old Parmigiano as is, ideally dipping it in some of Glauco’s Aceto Balsamico Extra Vecchio (extravecchio)
- Or make a Mediterranean potato mash: cook 500g potatoes, mash with 50g of Leonardo’s 36-months Parmigiano and 50 ml Nino's olive oil. Add some Parmigiano shavings on top and serve as a side to meat or fish with a fresh salad.
- Do not waste your Parmigiano crusts. Add them to your winter soups or risotto, they will provide both taste and consistency!
What about Leonardo
The best Parmigiano this side of anywhere!
»I took two weeks of vacation in my life, the ones in which we were renovating the Casearia«. Leonardo is a kind, thin man in his late sixties. His thinning grey hair and fair complexion reveal he does not spend too much time outside in the sun, yet his grey eyes, hidden behind frameless eyeglasses, are lively and warm.
Other products from Leonardo
Recipe with Parmigiano Reggiano 36 months old
- Parmigiano custard with anchoïade and green vegetables salad