Luciano's Prosciutto di San Daniele has been selected as one of only two Prosciutto to have obtained the Excellence award from Gambero Rosso.
It has only three ingredients: selected thighs from Italian pigs, sea salt and the special microclimate of San Daniele del Fruili. The pork legs are cured according to the slow (up to 24 months), all-natural system developed by the Celts who settled in Italy more than 2,000 years ago, and monitored rigorously to ensure superb quality.
The special microclimate creates the perfect conditions for maturation, allowing the use of less salt in the curing, which results in a fragrant, rosy-coloured ham with a delicate texture and taste, and lingering finish on the palate.
Luciano's Prosciutto will last more than 8 months unopened and refrigerated. Once open wrap it in a clean cloth, keep it refrigerated and eat within 3-4 weeks.
How to use
Slice thinly just before eating and allow the slices to come to room temperature.
- Thinly sliced Prosciutto di San Daniele is a recipe in itself. It needs very few complements and should preferably be accompanied by a dry white wine or a glass of Luigi's Prosecco
- In spring it will pair superbly with asparagus (both green and white)
- And during summer serve it with ripe melon and figs
- Make a decadent sandwich with Alessandro & Stefano’s pesto, Luciano’s Prosciutto, some good mozzarella and slices of tomatoes. Eat it like that or bake it in the oven until the bread is warm and the cheese slightly melts, about 10 minutes.
- Or use it to top a Bruschetta
- Serve it for breakfast with a baked egg and a roasted tomato
- Serve it on a cold meat plate together with Domenico's Bresaola, Gabriella & Pietro’s Salami, Stephanie’s Magret & Duck Salami and some pickles. Add a tomato/mozzarella salad (seasoned with Nino’s Olive Oil and Glauco's Oro Nero) and some crusty bread for a magnificent lunch
- Do not waste the skins: Add them to your winter soups or to the water you use to cook beans
What about Luciano
Mould gives the taste. But we need the perfect conditions
A warm-hearted man, Luciano welcomed us as you would a guest in your own house. Gambero Rosso selected his San Daniele Prosciutto as one of only two to deserve an Excellence award but despite this great honour Luciano remains a humble man, without any trace of arrogance.
Other products from Luciano
Recipe with Prosciutto di San Daniele
- Pan-roasted onions with Prosciutto di San Daniele and shaved Pecorino Roncione