All Pello's charcuteries are made from his own “Euskal Txerria” breed of pigs. They are adorable looking animals; big easy-going black pigs with enormous, floppy ears that fall over their eyes! At Pello’s they roam freely in the fields and under the century old trees, gorging on the nuts and seeds. Such happy pigs make superlative meat! Pello's Chorizo Curato is a dried and cured sausage in a casing. It has a very dense and almost chewy texture and get its distinctive smokiness and deep red color from dried smoked red peppers. Pello's Chorizo Curato is intensely flavoured without being spicy.
Pello's Cured Chorizo is delivered vacuum packed and will last for months unopened in the fridge. Once open wrap it in a clean cloth, keep it refrigerated and eat within 3 weeks
How to use
Pello's Chorizo Curato is delicious eaten as-is, casings and all. Serve it at room temperature, in not too thin slices, as part of a tapas plate. It will also be great lightly grilled or added to soups and sauces for richness and flavor.
- Serve it as part of a tapas plate together with Pello’s Salchichon and Jamon curado, Jose’s Boquerones and Salted anchovies, Iosu's Roncal and some Pa amb tomàquet (bread with tomatoes)
- Or thread some on a skewer with a slice of Roncal and a green olive for a classical tapas
- Cut it in thin slices and grill those just to get them crisp (a matter of seconds) in a very hot pan. Deglaze with some good sherry and enjoy
- Grill some slices and serve them on a ciabatta with baby rucola, roasted red peppers and some of Nino’s Olive Oil
- Dice some chorizo and fry it with diced onion, carrot & celery as a base for soups and sauces. The chorizo will add a wonderfully rich colour and taste.
What about Pello
The happiest pigs in the world! And you can taste it!
Getting to Pello's farm is no easy quest, as it is hidden away among the wood covered hills, along a winding and steep road next to a small village. After asking quite a few people we are getting closer and meet Marcelino, a 94 year old farmer who lives a few hundred meters away. He chats happily with us: “We don’t get many people around here” he says, so he keeps us a bit longer, chit chatting about his grandsons.
Other products from Pello
Recipes with Chorizo Curado
- Sautéed Zucchini with Chorizo, Basil and Lime
- Portobello Pizza