All Pello's charcuteries are made from his own “Euskal Txerria” breed of pigs. They are adorable looking animals; big easy-going black pigs with enormous, floppy ears that fall over their eyes! At Pello’s they roam freely in the fields and under the century old trees, gorging on the nuts and seeds. Such happy pigs make superlative meat! Pello's Fresh Chorizo is a mildly spicy uncooked ground meat sausage. It is packed with flavor and it is one of those secret ingredients that makes for no-effort cooking, instantly adding depth and complexity to anything it is cooked with.
How to use
Pello's Fresh Chorizo must be cooked before eating. You can grill or bake it in thick slices and serve it as a tapas. Alternatively crumble it to aromatise all kind of dishes: add chorizo to a heated pan and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until crisp and lightly charred, about 10 minutes; drain any excess oil if necessary. It will go exceptionally well with all kind of potatoes, beans or eggs dishes
- Serve it as a tapas, grilled or baked in thick slices, with some good crusty bread to absorb the flavourful oil. You can also make Chorizo a la Sidra by adding some onion and apple slices to the pan and deglazing it with some apple cider: Pork, apple and booze: a winning combination!
- Use it in pasta sauces: replace part or all of the ground meat with fresh chorizo in a bolognaise type of sauce. It will give tons of flavour! Serve it with Orecchiette, (small ears) pasta. Their form will scoop up the sauce and hold the Chorizo crumbles.
- Or go Mexican and make a delicious taco filling by crumbling it in a pan and frying it with some onions, green peppers and hot sauce (chipotle would go exceptionally well). This mix would also be great on top of nachos, topped with some cheese, briefly cooked under the grill and served with guacamole, diced fresh tomatoes and onions, coriander and lime juice.
- Or use it to replace part of the ground meat in a chili con carne
- Mix it with grounded beef (3/4 beef, ¼ chorizo) for wonderful burgers. The bun will soak up all that delicious chorizo oil! Top with some Roncal for a Spanish themed cheese burger.
- Chorizo goes exceptionally well with seafood. Try adding some to stir-fried shrimps, clams or mussels
What about Pello
The happiest pigs in the world! And you can taste it!
Getting to Pello's farm is no easy quest, as it is hidden away among the wood covered hills, along a winding and steep road next to a small village. After asking quite a few people we are getting closer and meet Marcelino, a 94 year old farmer who lives a few hundred meters away. He chats happily with us: “We don’t get many people around here” he says, so he keeps us a bit longer, chit chatting about his grandsons.
Other products from Pello
Recipe with Chorizo Fresco
- Crispy Potato, Chorizo, and Green Chili Hash With Avocado and Eggs