Mackerel is an oily fish that has many health benefits. Philippe’s mackerels are fished in winter on the French coasts of the Atlantic Ocean and in the English Channel. The fish is prepared entirely by hand, according to traditional techniques. It is filleted and cooked in a court bouillon. The filets are then deposited whole in their tin and covered with a white wine marinade. You will be conquered by their very tender flesh and their great taste, balanced by just enough acidity.
Philippe & Claudie's Mackerels will keep for 2 years unopened at room temperature.
Once open keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days.
How to use
They are ready to eat. Serve at room temperature with their flavourful marinade and some crusty bread.
176g net - Whole mackerel fillets cooked in broth, white wine vinegar, spices, red peppers, green peppers, bay leaves, pepper, coriander, white Muscadet wine, salt.
Mackerel gentle acidity goes very well with all kind of salads
- Serve the mackerel with a tomato onion salad
- Or with a potato salad, with a nice mustardy dressing
- Crumble the fillets and add them to a pasta, beans or tabbouleh salad (use the marinade in your dressing)
- Hard-boil eggs, cut them in 2, remove the yolks and mash them with the mackerel, a bit of mayonnaise, some of the mackerel marinade, salt & pepper. Add some finely chopped chives and fill the half egg whites with the mixture.
- Make rillettes: Drain the mackerel fillets (reserve the marinade), mash the drained mackerels with a little bit of crème fraiche or cream cheese, salt, pepper and a bit of thyme. Add a little bit of the reserved marinade and lemon juice to taste. Serve with bruschetta
What about Philippe & Claudie
Philippe & Claudie
Locally caught at the best moment of the season and canned by hand
Philippe’s family has been canning sardines for more than 100 years in the harbour of Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie, in the Vendée region in West of France. Claudie is a passionate Epicurean, lover of all that is good and beautiful. In 2004 they decided to join forces to change the image of canned sardines and create an exceptional product.
Other products from Philippe & Claudie
Recipe with Mackerels Fillets in White Wine
- Mackerel, Apple & Potato salad